Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Visit to Springdale

David grew up in Springdale. He loved growing up in that small town which sits in the shadow of Zion National Park.  He has many stories about his boyhood he loves to tell, when you get him in the right mood.  I also have a soft spot in my heart for Springdale, because it was there I met David and we fell in love! Ah shucks....
On Monday for Memorial Day, we drove to Springdale to visit and drive past some of our favorite spots.
David's parents, Austen and Helen Excell are buried in the Springdale Cemetery. It is such a nice cemetery.   

Their Children... I like this idea for future generations so they can make connections to their ancestors.

A view of the cemetery nestled beneath those beautiful mountains that make Zion so wonderful.  We strolled through the cementary reminiscing about those that have gone before, but were such a big part of David's life growing up. 

Downtown Springdale... this is the heart of the town .  The old Pioneer Lodge to the right and Bumbleberry Inn to the left. 

David's chapel growing up!  It has now been turned into shops and a Pizza and Noodle house.  He can't stand to go into the building, because it just doesn't feel right!  We attended church here together a few times... I think I might have batted my eyelashes at David in this church!  

The Driftwood Lodge... this is where David grew up!  His parents owned this motel and restaurant.  It has changed since they owned it, but most of the charm is still in tact. 

Another view of the Driftwood...  I think David might have batted his eyelashes at me at the Driftwood!  We had some fun times here. 

Austen and Helen's family home.  David lived here when we started dating.  His room was on the far right. They used to have big trees out front, but they have since cut them down.  The big front door is brown, and in this picture it looks like there isn't a door, but there is!  I never can remember a time when there wasn't chairs out front on the porch. 

A closer view of the front door.  I think I only went through this door one or two times!  We mostly used the other  front door!   I love the day lillies out front.   This home is still owned by the family, but they are currently renting it out.  This is the home where our daughter-in-law lived with her children while our son was in Afghanistan.  It  has HISTORY folks.....goood memories.  It truly is a home.
We had a great time visiting Springdale and we ended our visit with a trip to Oscar's for a yummy lunch.  Springdale is a great place.
Photobucket

No comments: